Thursday, May 20, 2010

Is "Draw Muhammed Day" Supposed to Be...Cool?


Just briefly, I'd like to explain why I am not interested in taking any part in "Draw Muhammed Day":


While I understand the point being driven by some non-Muslims to be that fear should not dictate what the rest of us do with such simple liberties as doodling and the like, I think that it is calling for the deliberate pidgeonholing of a single group of people bound by one religious belief. I'm all for free speech and, frankly, I tend to care very little about offending people in my thoughts, speech and opinions. However, I think that calling for people all over the globe to do something deliberately disrespectful toward a single group of people is petty, pointless, and a silly group-think tactic to "other" a category of people.


And when I see the groups of people that are traditionally "othered" doing it (you know, the classes of people I belong to: Black, female, atheists, et al), it only makes me think that there's to be no progress for humanity because you're doing the same thing that they do to us. It is amusing to me that a common gripe that a group of people can have about the way they are treated can be turned around with the snap of a finger when they're not on defense.


While I am sure that someone will bring up my affinity for all things inappropriate - cartoons included - and the idea that I draw random lines wherever I see fit, I'd like to say that there's a difference between satire in my own sardonic wit, and the real-world discriminatory thinking of the circumstantial status quo.


I'd rather not waste time drawing some entity (that I personally feel to be imaginary) for the sole purpose of pissing people off; instead, I'll use my powers for good.


Be Righteous.

6 comments:

  1. Well said! I just found out about this on another site and thought, that it isn't cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I belong to the group that is suppose to offend this drawing-thing, you have articulated my feelings towards it accurately. Both groups are behaving similarly without realizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Om! I was actually hoping that you would sound off on this. While you know my feelings on religion, you also know full well that I don't go out of my way to offend other people just for the sake of it. While I think the entire thing was silly, I also find it to be pointless and, yes - the same nature of the discriminatory practices against the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually knew it was coming up for weeks as I am a subscriber to a few atheist blogs and I've been opposed to it ever since. Apparently, the idea sprouted right after the underhanded censorship of the South Park episode a few weeks ago. I understand Matt and Trey's point (as a South Park fan) and my feelings on that particular instance is that they should have been allowed to do it ONLY BECAUSE they've not been censored in other arenas or when offending other groups. However, this whole "draw Muhammed" thing, though birthed from the issue with SP, is different. It isn't an issue of free speech; I think it could have been, but instead the radical atheists (because yes, there are radicals within any group of people) are using it as a bullying tactic. It's just plain silly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you on this. I'm a big SP fan and I did watch the episode the first time it aired (without the censorship) and I wasn't offended at all. In fact, I felt SP was making a very important point on this issue and they handled it very well in the episode. Unfortunately the dumbfucks who threatened Matt & Trey weren't kidding - these guys have a perverted view of the world and they would do anything to prove their perversion. So I understand ComedyCentral's decision to censor the episode although I don't agree with it but CC has a responsibility to protect its employees. The authority should definitely investigate and prosecute those assholes.

    About the Draw Mohamed Day, I read in the paper that someone started it on FB but I didn't know it was an atheist affiliated at all. That's really weird though. I think it is important that we protect free speech from those who use it to threaten others and those who abuse it to malign/disparage others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly! Could not have said it better myself, Om.
    I know that people are making a point that we should not be afraid (especially in the so-called "free world") of free speech and we should not be backed into a corner away from expressing ourselves. However, I think that people should take into consideration the possible consequences of any action they make. I'm big on personal responsibility and people are ONLY responsible for themselves; however, the path to enlightenment for those threatening (and even acting violently about the issue) is NOT gonna come from pissing them off. Not at all.

    ReplyDelete