Monday, May 3, 2010

Why I Can't Give Up on President Obama


The above image is a banner on Politifact.com. On this site, you can track his progress and you can also get clarification on the bullshit level of truth in the comments that politicians and news sources report on.


I certainly have my criticisms of President Obama, as with any other politician. I remember the feelings of euphoria when he was elected; but I did not expect him to change these "United" States of America overnight. I didn't vote for him just because he's Black. Even in his earlier days as a politician, health care has always been...well, a big f*cking deal to him. Moreover, being an activist myself, I am very interested in politicians who make it to office majorly based on the collaboration with and campaigning among grassroots organizers. I felt like part of the influence, and I also hoped to be a beneficiary of said influence.


Moreover, I am willing to acknowledge that he has enough struggle to deal with in terms of being the first Black President of the States. I mean, honestly, it brought a lot of shit to light that people were not (and still are not) willing to acknowledge. I mean, I'm gonna keep it real: I get on my Dead Prez sometimes and feed into the idea that politicians are the same entity catering to the same masters. However, I am also of the opinion that we cannot complain or expect a substantial improvement of policy and economics to come about if we are unwilling to be a part of the process. Jay Smooth hit the nail on the head when he spoke about the T-Pain and Sean Hannity incident. I was going to insert quotes from the episode, but the video provides so much more context. Check it:


Let's be clear: Dead Prez is n o t h i n g like T-Pain, I'll give you that. I'm a huge fan of their music and their willingness to speak out about everything from politics to veganism. In a sense, though, it's like - why even speak about or worry with politics if your talking isn't giving the people the change that we need? I mean, honestly, that Mau Mau shit can only go so far; if you want to have opinions about the process and not participate in it then fine, but realize that your opinions run the people straight to a dead end. You know why? Because, while you may only be one person, you should realize the more people that get down with the withdrawal from meaningful political activism (shit that is noticeably effective) means there are fewer people hitting the ballots - ergo, fewer votes going to the lesser of the evils the candidate that actually believes in change.


I realize that President Obama is one man. I realize that he is one man that is representative of so much, and that any genuine change in anything does not occur overnight (like I told my ex-boyfriend..ziiing!). However, I also realize that he could not have gotten into office without the Black community and I am of the opinion that other "agendas" have been catered to in a peculiar order. I think that it is amazing that so much has been completed, and I give big ups to President Obama. However, I also know that my people are looking at him like he's a unicorn and since he's in office, the pressure is off of them to promote change and push for policy. And it isn't.


At any rate, this post was supposed to move in a more lighthearted direction than it has taken; I finally got to see the video re-cap from the White House Corespondents' Dinner and as I laughed my behind off at President Obama's cracking jokes, I remembered why I initially decided to support him. Even when under scrutiny for insignificant bullshit like, say, whether or not he is a US Citizen, he's still cool as a fan. He's a charismatic guy, and not sweating in front of the opposition is what really pisses people off about him. Plus, his nerdy jokes about politics and pop culture illustrates his intelligence. Take a look:


I don't get caught up in "hope" any more than I get caught up in "luck". Just because he's charismatic doesn't mean we should fall back and follow him blindly. Black people, it's okay to be critical of the President's political movements. It doesn't make you an Uncle Tom. It doesn't make you a hater. It makes you a politically active mind! I believe in skills, and I believe that if you want something, you make it happen. So, like Waka Flacka says...ohledoooiit! No? Nothing? After that serious comedy I just shared, I get crickets?! Pffft. Whatever.


Be Righteous.

1 comment:

  1. Lovin' that speech. He's so witty, or at least whoever wrote the speech is. He at least makes it believable. Not a Wacka Flocka fan, though, at all. Nice post, once again. I liked the unicorn statement.

    ReplyDelete