Friday, July 2, 2010

Mel Gibson's Rant: More Than The N-Word


Apparently, Mel Gibson has been recorded on tape going off on the mother of his infant saying the following:


"You're an embarrassment to me. You look like a fucking pig in heat, and if you get raped by a pack of niggers, it will be your fault."


"How dare you act like such a bitch when I have been so fucking nice."


"I am going to come and burn the fucking house down...but you will blow me first."


Amazing. The blog world has majorly been focusing on the fact that he used the n-word, which is also amazing to me. He went on a tirade and threw the ugliest racially offensive in the mix. I understand the outrage of his usage of the n-word. As a matter of fact, I've oftened joked(?)/wondered if white people say the n-word if they're mad enough. The rant was sickening. Yet, the entire tirade in and of itself is absolutely repulsive.


The hope or insinuation that any person is raped is disgusting; and silently or very loudly and angrily expressing that the fulfillment of another person being raped would be their own fault is plain despicable. And then, threatening violence (in burning the house down) but saying that your significant other will perform oral sex on you before you do such a thing makes you a perpetrator of rape; I'm quite sure that if she was forced into such a situation, she would be able to press rape charges because the act was performed under coercion and threats.


Further, look at this snippet of the initial quote:
..if you get raped by a pack of niggers..
So naturally, as if any part of this is acceptable at all, the grouping of "rape" and the n-word grouped together says much more than is written: it speaks to a historical depiction of Black males in American society. The black beast rapist is an image that was created by white society to maintain both slavery, and then segregation, and it was used to define the racial and gender social structure in America. This is not to say that some Black men do not rape; yet, when I see the association of Black men with (interracial) rape, I immediately get imagery of lynchings in the South and the desparities in convictions and punishment where interracial alleged sex crimes occur.


Black women aren't the only ones with image issues; Black men have been depicted in several different ways, including brutes, rapists, Nats and Toms, as America developed and socially evolved. Unfortunately, just as some Black women feel the need to behave a certain way, feeding into the jezebel stereotype, Black men are feeling their way in terms of the development of social masculinity. Mel Gibson's comments illustrates an uncaring and expectation that Black men are nothing more than predators.


...and you probably thought that Matt and Trey's depiction of Mel was exaggerated!


Be Righteous.



EDIT: also, Mel's usage of the word "pack" as in "pack of niggers" equates Black males to animals. I kinda hinted at that, but did not spell it out, and it's important to the overall context of the post.
EDIT: 7/10/10 below is the actual audio.


2 comments:

  1. the reason I LOVE this post the most is because your eyes saw what mine saw when I read the quotations. The rape, the bitch, the "blow me first". It ALL disgusted me. I haven't even read the rest of your blog yet. (:
    I think I will do that now before I continue, but [clap, clap]

    Yes, I agree with everything you are saying. I don't even need to put in my two-cents because you have said it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand being up in arms about his using the n-word, the ugliest of the uglies. Yet, I think that people might be upset at the wrong thing; I'm not saying that his using the n-word was not significant but I am saying that it's more in the symbolism provided by how he used it.
    Thanks for reading and commenting Benita!

    ReplyDelete