Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tiger Woods



Having been accused at times of being both racially biased and biased based on gender, I feel the need to post on the recent Tiger Woods incident. However, I will say that I feel less than informed enough to "side"; abuse is wrong whatever the form, but like I said in my post about Chris Brown and Rihanna, I only know what I know from what's been delivered by the media. I'm tired of seeing things like "Tiger Woods gets 'Chris Browned'" or "Becky beat Tiger Woods and doesn't go to jail" or "...but if he would have hit her back, ____ would happen". As a result of my academic work and my personal experiences, I do know that there is absolutely an imbalance when it comes to male victims of sexual and domestic violence. On top of the discrepencies in prosecuting violence perpetrated by women toward men, there are differences in prosecuting crimes that are perpetrated by whites toward "minorities".


All though, every variation of this conversation tends to be along the lines of "the brotha got beated up by a white woman". Race certainly matters not, and I am noticing a lot of people wanting to qualify his victimization. No person deserves to fall victim to abuse -- no matter what people think they've done to precipitate it. I don't think it's excused, but that there are different excuses people are willing to deliver: "he was cheating', 'it was a woman', 'should have been doing ___/shouldnt have been dealing with white chicks'; it all becomes quite exhausting to hear as an advocate against violence. People don't realize that, much like everything that is said about women victims of sexual and relationship violence, these excuses and rationalizations on top of the imbalance where the law stands serve as reasons why male victims do not seek help.


She will not be arrested unless he presses charges (as with many other domestic violence situations). Many men do not press charges for many reasons; some to do with how we view masculinity and some are the same reasons women victims do not -- they're married, have children together, they want to move past it, etc. I think that in the public eye there are many versions and judgments to be made but legally, things can be done if he is willing to know his options and act on them.


That said, every other opinion I have on the incident falls in the same realm as the Chris Brown and Rihanna post. Remember the affect the things you say can have on other people.


Be Righteous.

1 comment:

  1. Good post!

    It's very telling as far as Black folks are concerned, the double standard applied to this "alleged" domestic violence issue as it relates to the Chris Brown/Rihanna debacle.

    ReplyDelete